Sunday, March 21, 2010

The MARCH of Death, Day 20: 'Triangle'



If the name Christopher Smith sounds familiar it’s for one of two reasons: either it’s an uncommonly plain and recognizable name, or you know of his films Creep and Severance. I for one am a huge fan of Severance and make no apologies for it. That effort blended humor and gore to such a divine degree that you find yourself laughing at the gore and cringing at the humor; in the best possible way. So while some may find Triangle a huge departure in the darkly comedic respect, I for one was pleasantly anticipating viewing a straight up dramatic narrative from Mr. Smith. The movie centers around a small group of people out on a yacht and headed inevitably toward the dreaded Bermuda Triangle. When a brutal storm essentially leaves their boat immobile, the group finds themselves with little choice but to board a mysterious and deserted ship. The pacing that it takes to execute this type of mundane setup is quite tricky. In my opinion, although very deliberate, Smith plants each of the stories feet firmly in front of the other on his way to what Triangle ultimately becomes: a supernatural mind bender of sorts. Shining the spotlight squarely on the uber-talented Melissa George, Smith seems to know she is up for such the challenge. The first time I really stopped and noticed Ms. George was in a little film called 30 Days of Night. Yes, I loved it. But other than being shocked by Josh Hartnett’s turn, I was utterly taken by George. As the twists and turns begin to pile up and slowly approach ludicrous heights; Melissa George’s performance just kept making it work for me. She convincingly brings us through the fear, confusion, realization, and horror of what may or may not be happening; and because of this ability, she anchors the film. I know, but I had to go there. Triangle will not capsize the spooky ghost ship sub-genre. However, I will say this: If there is such a thing as a spooky ghost ship sub-genre, I was never a fan. What makes Triangle ultimately enjoyable, is the considerable directorial finesse of Christopher Smith, the acting chops of Melissa George, and the willingness of the viewer to go with the proverbial flow. Fortunately for me, I was willing and able to thoroughly enjoy my trip into the triangle.

Triangle
2009
Director: Christopher Smith
Starring: Melissa George and Liam Hemsworth

7/10 Farmhouses ~ Chris Conduit

No comments: